Monday, January 28, 2013

The Cask of Amontillado

        The Cask of Amontillado was a ravenous read. From the beginning you could feel the emotions of a man fed up with being someone’s jest all the time. For me the story reinforces the saying “watch what you say and do to people” because you never know how they will respond. The Lord of The Montressors lured his victim to his unforeseen death employing the use of Fortunatos’ addiction to alcohol and pride. It was quite a ruse to exact revenge. Although I think he took it too far I wonder what exactly Fortunato did to deserve such a devious punishment.  Being buried half alive, I can only imagine how the horror stricken drunkard felt when he realized that he wasn’t going to be able to sample the Cask of Amontillado and this was not some game, that he would only be swallowed by death in its place. Subtlety, the Lord of The Montressors gave him opportunities to save his own life, but counted on Fortunato greed and pride to keep himself onward to his final destination. The catacombs filled with bones was and eerie foreshadowing of the final event. And till the end, Fortunato continued to humor himself with the Scotsman performance and associations. It was a thrilling short story; I wasn’t aware how good a short story could be. I recommend this read for others to indulge themselves in a perfect murder plot of those times.

4 comments:

  1. I loved your description of this story. I also wondered how Forunato felt when he was being buried alive. I love how you picked up on how the catacombs foreshadow what is to come.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree, your description is great and analysis is spot on.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree with the first two comments. Your description and analysis is on point.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I remember reading this in the 11th grade!

    ReplyDelete